What is flexible work?
Flexible work is a way of working that suits an employee's needs rather than following a strict pattern outlined by the employer.
Types of flexible working
There are numerous different ways that an employer can adopt flexible working, from agreeing to small changes in working hours to taking a more ‘people first’ approach to work policy, for example. A few flexible approaches to working policies might include:
- allowing employees to work remotely from home
- allowing employees to work remotely from anywhere in the world
- offering the option to switch from full-time to part-time hours
- enabling an employee to work compressed hours, working their usual hours in fewer days
- offering flexitime, where workers can choose when they make up their hours
- asynchronous work, where workers don’t have to communicate in real-time so they don’t feel obliged to attend meetings at certain times
Disclaimer: This article and all information in it is provided for general informational purposes only. It does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal or tax advice. You should consult with a qualified legal or tax professional for advice regarding any legal or tax matter and prior to acting (or refraining from acting) on the basis of any information provided on this website.
Oyster enables hiring anywhere in the world—with reliable, compliant payroll, and great local benefits and perks.
Hiring independent contractors in Canada: Everything you need to know
Find out all about hiring Canadian contractors
Employers of Record (EORs) in the UAE: Everything you need to know
How an EOR can help you hire in the UAE.
Curious about Oyster? Book a personalized demo
Leave your details and one of our experts will be in touch.