What is a remote work policy?
Remote work policy
A remote work policy is a set of guidelines agreed on by key stakeholders that outline how work can be conducted outside the traditional offices of a company by remote workers.
Why are remote work policies important?
Remote work policies have become increasingly common since the coronavirus pandemic forced many companies around the world to adopt remote work practices. Remote work has proven popular among many workers for a variety of reasons, and more employees are now looking for roles that offer flexible or remote work. Well-written policies can also be used as a hiring tool by organizations to attract new talent and hang on to existing talent.
Things to consider when creating a remote work policy for your organization
Remote work arrangements can be temporary or permanent, part-time or full-time, occasional or frequent. There are usually several other considerations also covered in a remote work policy:
- An internal definition of remote work (for example: is work from a company office in a different locale allowed under remote work or is that considered transfer to a new location?).
- How to secure confidential or proprietary information.
- Tools needed to work remotely (if different from the ones available at the office).
- Expected schedule and availability.
- Limitations for remote work locations that may be based on taxes and residency requirements.
- Guidance about setting up a remote work environment, or home office.
Disclaimer: This article and all information in it is provided for general informational purposes only. It does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal or tax advice. You should consult with a qualified legal or tax professional for advice regarding any legal or tax matter and prior to acting (or refraining from acting) on the basis of any information provided on this website.
Oyster enables hiring anywhere in the world—with reliable, compliant payroll, and great local benefits and perks.
Hiring independent contractors in Canada: Everything you need to know
Find out all about hiring Canadian contractors
Employers of Record (EORs) in the UAE: Everything you need to know
How an EOR can help you hire in the UAE.
Curious about Oyster? Book a personalized demo
Leave your details and one of our experts will be in touch.